Friday, October 9, 2009

Back in the saddle again!

... For this weekend anyway. Paragon Studios is offering a free-play double-XP weekend for their City of Heroes games. After not playing for more than 3 months or so, I've reloaded my software and took the game for another test drive!

Quickly found out that Virtue Server is truly the place to be as two quick PUGs (Pick Up Games, for you non-players) and I raised my brand new character to level 16 over the course of about 5 hours of play! Pretty sweet! It was really just a matter of playing follow the leader as the team leaders quickly ran through different missions to get as far as they could in as little time as possible. No time to enjoy the scenery or even to read what the objectives of the missions were... Just bash badguys and collect XP.

Which reminded me of one of the reasons I don't play anymore. It's such a well-worn linear path up the XP ladder. Nothing new to challenge us. Great new special effects for powers with the new Power Customization options, and some new power combinations to explore. Just no new opponents. No new in-game models. No costumed villains. Sigh... That's one thing Champions Online has over COH: a World-of-Warcraft-like variety of opponents both in character models and in the physical size of the opponents. It was always discouraging to go up against an arch-villain in COH and the Huge-sized Tanks and Scrappers would surround the villain and defeat them before I got a chance to see what this nemesis looked like.

Anyway...
I'll play when I can this weekend. I don't think it'll change my mind about playing COH anymore but we'll see...

No comments: